Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Have Seedlings!

I'm a bad blogger. I disappeared for a week without pre-publishing any blog posts. I was unexpectedly needed out-of-state with family. But the blog wasn't the only thing that I left behind without adult supervision. The very first sprout from the seeds I planted had emerged on the day that I left.

Baby Opal Basil

I was a bit concerned about what would happen if I left them behind in a dry house and I wasn't around to mist them. Plus, I've been growing them under a light because I was concerned the window ledge would be too cold. They would have to go in the window, though, because I'd be way too nervous to set a timer for those lights. I guess I didn't need to worry, though.

Seedlings Gone Wild

They grew like crazy while I was gone. You can see not everything is growing, though. Some seeds take longer to sprout. Additionally, everything in the little clay pots was planted about a week later than the first set of seedling. I'm not sure even if everything in those will grow, some of them are experiments.

There are too many growing in some pods, so I will have to cull some. Crazy, I thought I would have to plant more because some of the seeds were 2-3 years old. The ones that weren't were seeds I harvested myself, so I really wasn't sure they would grow. Almost everything you can see, though, has sprouted from seeds of fruits and veggies I grew last year. I am excited for this growing season!

Alright, time to get back to some regularly scheduled photo blogging. I'll be back soon with posts from my adventures in Ohio.

2 comments:

  1. One can never have enough basil planted. I detest mowing the lawn and am contemplating tilling the entire grassy surface of the yard and planting basil. Well, it's a dream at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basil is my favorite. Grass isn't all that valuable, it's just decoration :) There are lots of people in the Cities who have basically gotten rid of most of their yard to plant fruits, veggies, and native decorative plants. Who wants to mow anyway? ;)

    ReplyDelete