Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stunted Seedlings, 2010

So it has been a while since I last wrote about the progress of my potted garden. Well it has been growing steadily in the two months since I planted my first seeds.

This Year's Potential Crop

For the most part, that is. The rainy, drizzly weather with no sunlight that we've been experiencing for the last week or so seems to have stunted the growth of my little plants.

Medium Potted Plants

From left to right, here are 2 sunflowers, 2 tomatoes, and 2 bell pepper plants. They're nice and tall, but they don't seem to have grown in the past week.

Bucket Full of Plants

The four plants in the upper left-hand corner of the blue bucket are opal basil, sage, parsley, and basil. The plants in the lower, right-hand corner are more bell pepper plants (yellow, orange, and red). The pail pink pot has cat grass planted, but it hasn't grown yet (I suspect a lack of sunlight has to do with that).

Box Full of Seedlings

In this box, though, are some extra plants and some stubborn seeds. I'm having a hard time growing lavender, which are in the 4 pots in the upper left-hand corner. I've killed many lavender seedlings in the past 2 months, but I think I might have something figured out now. And in the center 2 pots (that look like nothing is growing) are oregano and thyme, which are so tiny and fragile when they first start growing, it seems they will die if you breathe on them wrong. Mainly the trouble I'm having with the lavender, oregano, and thyme is that they like really dry soil and I have a compulsive watering problem. But I think I'm getting better at it. There are also extra basil and sage plants in the box which I will away. There are 2 daisies, too. I can't wait for the pretty flowers to grow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! My tomatoes stopped growing too :( My hubby just talked to someone who's plants came up really well, infact he ended up with so many he is gonna sell the extras, anyway he said that he used miracle grow once to twice a week with watering, I think I am going to have to look into that to make mine grow better. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure its a sunlight thing, though. Hoping now that the sun seems to be out they'll start growing better again :) Good luck to you, too!

    ReplyDelete